Munmun Masud

March 6th, 2011

A Meaningful Technic

Posted by munmunmasud in Uncategorized

I have never come across the word, “technic” until today. With that said, I’m not too sure about the actual meaning of it, in regards to Mumford. To make things clear, Professor Buell did clarify an aspect of it’s meaning by stating “technics allowed prehumans in the process of hominization (becoming human) to stabilize and cohere their unconscious and their social relations.” Even though I am an English major, I’m not much of a diarist like Mr. Robinson Crusoe. And sorry Mr. Mumford, I don’t dance either. But what I do consider “meaningful” is the art of cooking—I’m not much of a cook, but I do enjoy it. I’m not too sure whether it can be identified as a “technic,” but as of now, apart from my job, school work and television, this is something I like to do.

I guess one can consider cooking to be a process of homonization. Like cows, we do not eat grass, and like carnivores we do not have the habit of eating raw meat. Therefore, cooking is in fact necessary for us human beings. In regards to “social relations,” I think cooking helps bring people together. For example, imagine your dining table at dinner, or when you have the monthly potluck occasion at your aunt’s humble abode. It does indeed stabilize and cohere our social relations with both family and friends.

Cooking is meaningful because it helps me de-stress. Here, I get the option to combine ingredients to my liking and be the only judge to my outcome. I do not get this opportunity at work, nor do I get to do this in school. Cooking is a process that takes three steps to complete. The first is to think about the ingredients, the second is to prepare, and the third is to indulge the end product. Crusoe always wrote about his day to day process in his journal, particularly his accomplishments and failures. But prior to this, I’m sure he always thought about what to write and what to exclude. Cooking is similar to this process as I also tend to think about what to incorporate or exclude from my recipe.  Similar to Crusoe, I either succeed or fail.

3 Responses to ' A Meaningful Technic '

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' A Meaningful Technic '.

1.    Destry said,

on October 10th, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Thanks for spiednng time on the computer (writing) so others don’t have to.

2.    gqqfjkt said,

on October 14th, 2011 at 10:25 am

hFzniJ kpwirhuwroul

3. on June 10th, 2015 at 3:55 am

(kathy van zeeland handbags|etienne aigner handbags|sak handbags|sorial handbags|bueno handbags|rioni handbags|urban expressions handbags|phillip lim handbags|madi claire handbags|zara handbags|wholesale handbag|designer handbags wholesale|handbag de…

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

• Monthly

• Links

• Meta

• Subscribe to RSS feed
    • The latest comments to all posts in RSS
    • Subscribe to Atom feed
    • Powered by WordPress; state-of-the-art semantic personal publishing platform.
    • Firefox - Rediscover the web
  • Spam prevention powered by Akismet